The best way to clean glass surfaces
Cleaning glass is easy once you’ve got a bit of knowledge and an easy-to-follow method. And once you do, you can wave goodbye to streaks and blurriness, and say hello to gleaming surfaces. As with any home DIY job, it’s all about know-how, and these top tips are really going to help.
There’s something very satisfying about looking into a mirror and seeing your gleaming face smiling back. Not so much, though, when that face is smeared with grubby streaks. No worry, cleaning mirrors is easy, and here’s how:
- Wipe down the frames so that any dirt on there won’t get onto the glass.
- Clean off the excess with a damp sponge or piece of kitchen towel
- Spray with your mirror cleaning spray and work from top to bottom, wiping away the smears as you go. Use a clean piece of kitchen towel or a microfiber cloth for a final polish.
How to clean windows
Cleaning the inside of windows is a relatively straightforward process. The following steps show you a simple and effective way to get them sparkling:
- Remove curtains and blinds if necessary – this is a good time to clean them too.
- Clean the window frames before attending to the glass.
- Fill a bucket with warm soapy water and use a sponge to clean. Try to keep the suds to a minimum though, as they can leave streaks.
- Using a squeegee, work from top to bottom in an S shape, wiping away excess soap on a clean cloth as you go.
- Wipe the remaining solution dry with a microfiber cloth.
How to clean glass tabletops
Whether you’re cleaning a dining table or coffee table, white vinegar is great for the job. It’s actually really good at cleaning mirrors and windows too. Back to glass tabletops though, here’s what to do:
- Mix one-part vinegar with two parts water and pour into a spray bottle.
- Spray onto the glass, being careful not to soak the frame, especially if it’s wood.
- Wipe thoroughly and give it a final polish.
- Double check that your frame is dry.
General tips for cleaning glass surfaces
In addition to the above tips that show you how to clean a mirror, tabletop and window, there are a number of general tips when it comes to cleaning glass. Here’s a summary:
- Always make sure you’re safe when cleaning windows. If it seems even a little risky, call in the pros.
- Use clean tools. Otherwise you’re just going to spread old muck and leave streaks.
- Test your cleaner on a small area first and be careful with surrounding framework. Some cleaning solutions will affect wood, metal etc., so do a patch test to make sure there’s no reaction, and cover the frame if necessary.
- Clean from top to bottom. Drips are inevitable and there’s no need to go over old ground.
- Use a microfiber cloth or strong kitchen towel to polish. That’s the best way to get a great shine.
Put these tips into action to get sparkling glass surfaces every time!